The sale of electrical appliances and equipment around the world is conditional to proving that the product is safe. One of simplest ways of demonstrating that the design, construction and performance of the product is safe, is by testing to a safety standard, whether the regulatory regime is mandatory or not.
Whilst safety standards around the world aim to achieve largely the same thing, they vary in the detail from country to country. At ITL, our fully equipped laboratories and experienced engineers and technicians can carry out product safety testing for many of the world’s major safety standards including Australia and New Zealand’s standards.
How product safety testing works
The laboratory can operate in two ways; design phase and/or finished good:
ITL’s early involvement in the product lifecycle is recommended. This way, our experienced team can examine samples or prototypes and advise on whether the product is likely to pass the prescribed safety standard.
If necessary we can advise on technical changes to the design, manufacturing or component selection which would enable the product to pass the prescribed safety standard.
We will draft a pre-compliance report at this stage, which will help to eliminate the expense and delay caused by a finished product’s failure during type testing.
These products are ready to go straight into the laboratory for type testing to a prescribed electrical safety standard, being either Australian/New Zealand (AS/NZS) or International Electro-technical Commission (IEC) with National Deviations.
Upon completion of testing a full test report is made available.
ITL can also provide top-up testing to an existing, recognized test report to fully meet the Australian and New Zealand regulatory requirements.
Equipped to Test To (AS/NZS or IEC)
A selection of the products which ITL can provide safety testing for includes:
- Appliance connectors
- Business equipment (fax, copier etc)
- Clothes dryers
- Domestic and commercial ovens, cooktops and ranges
- Domestic and commercial refrigeration units
- Flexible cords
- Electric blankets and heating pads
- Electric irons
- Electric fence energisers
- Electric pool equipment
- Electric tools
- Electrical components
- Fans Hair dryers, straighteners, curling tongs, etc.
- Kitchen machines & appliances
- Luminaires and lighting
- Power supplies and adaptors
- Power tools
- Range hoods
- Residual current devices (rcd’s)
- Room heaters, portable and stationary
- Spa and swimming pools
- Storage and Instant Water Heaters
- Telecommunication equipment
- Toasters and similar appliances
- Vacuum cleaners
- Washing machines
Product Compliance and Certification
When you are ready to submit your product for compliance certification, ITL can act as agents and will provide additional services as follows:
- With the compliance test report(s) and the Client’s approval, we complete the application and submission of the documentation to the relevant authorities.
- Provide the Client with the certificate.
- Create a Product Compliance File (PCF) for your company/product on ITL’s secure database.
Product lifetime compliance
Successful products could be in production for decades and with our new Product Compliance File (PCF) secure database we can often update the Client during the product lifecycle, on major changes to the standards and regulations.
ITL is able to keep track of your modifications and variations, ensuring your compliance remains valid by carrying out top-up safety testing on the modified sample and variants and managing the updating or renewal of the certification.
Of course, you may have an existing product which only needs ITL’s assistance for certain tests or certifications. We are happy to tailor a service for you based on your exact requirements in any situation.